23 October, 2016

More Food

We finally have wifi, yay! Now I can upload pictures again with abandon (that day in the life post sucked up all of my data when I wrote it).

Anyway, we've had the chance to try a few more foods since my last post about it.

Last time, I'd mentioned that I wanted to try tea, a traditional English breakfast, and pub food.

Well I've had a lot of tea. I'm not a hot tea drinker really, but it's definitely one thing that's done better in the UK! I have a box of Yorkshire Tea at home, which I like with sugar and a bit of milk. I've also ordered tea out, but I have not yet done the full afternoon tea service with tiny sandwiches and cakes.

Lunch at a tea room with my girls

English breakfast. Well, I can't say that I've ordered the full English, but I've had most of the components. I've had the bacon, eggs, sausage, and toast together, along with sauteed mushrooms sometimes. I've had the grilled tomato with different foods, and I've tried the black pudding. Well, sort of.
We went to a small plates restaurant for dinner one night, and bravely ordered the fried cake with black pudding and duck (& something else but I forget what). It wasn't gross. It was okay, but I don't know that I'd order it on its own after that.

Do I look excited or scared?


And pub food. We've tried this category many times now, and love it. We lived in a pub for a week, so we ate there nearly every night. Our favorite was the steak and ale pie (I love a meat pie), served with chips, peas, and gravy. Also worth a try were the bangers and mash, which are sausages with mashed potatoes. And sometimes gravy. Yesterday I tried a cottage pie, which is minced beef covered with cheesy mashed potatoes, served with chips and peas, and more gravy. And this country does gravy right. Thick and full flavored, sometimes with bits of onion. Great comfort food.

Bangers and mash served in a giant Yorkshire pudding

Cottage pie

Bangers with bubble and squeak

Oh yeah, the bubble and squeak. This is a mixture of mashed or crushed roasted potatoes with leftover vegetables (typically cabbage, but can be a mixture of anything). It's made into a patty and fried until brown. The one I tried was really good, and I'll have to try to make it sometime.

On Sundays, many restaurants have a Sunday roast. This can be pork, beef, or lamb, and is served with roasted potatoes, vegetables, and gravy. And a Yorkshire pudding (made of a batter of milk, eggs, and flour). We've tried this mean once so far.

The last thing I'll touch on here is what the kids like to eat. There's not a lot of mac and cheese on children's menus here. Their favorite thing by far is fish fingers with chips and peas. I don't eat peas, so I was surprised at how much the kids love them. Lily also loves bangers with chips and peas, and every now and then they will have a burger. But there's really nothing too out of the ordinary on the kids menus.

What should we try next? Matt is voting for haggis in Scotland. I think I'll go for something a little more tame.



No comments:

Post a Comment