16 May, 2018

Craft Gin Club - April

I'm interrupting our holiday posts to talk about our April gin box (before I forget about it).

Our April gin box arrived the first week of the month, and I could hardly wait for Matt to get home from work so we could open it. And we seemed to have a lot this time!


Manchester Gin Distillers Cut 

The tasting notes in the magazine are as follows:
On the nose, a burst of pine and lemon is tickled by hints of creamy vanilla. This moves to a sweet and citrusy kiss on the pallet from elderberries and succulent grapefruit. A light, peppery warmth gives way to a seductively smooth finish.

My notes:
Smooth, slightly sweet. I did get the creamy vanilla, which was nice. But there are several gins we've liked better, so we probably won't seek this out.


Manchester Gin Raspberry Infused

This had a tart and true-tasting raspberry flavor. We're not huge fans of raspberry, so this was not our favorite. I tried it with the rose botanicals and lemonade (sprite in the US), which was better, but still not one I'd choose again.


Not only did we receive two types of gin, we also got three tonic samples!

Schweppes 1783 

This is a new line of higher end tonics by Schweppes. We received cucumber, salty lemon, and light.
The salty lemon was good. A mild lemon taste at first, but earthy with a salty finish. It went well with the Manchester Gin, and definitely was different than the kinds we have had before. 
Cucumber was our favorite of the three. It had a light, fresh cucumber taste. It would go well with Hendricks, but I'd probably still use my regular tonic with cucumber garnish.   
Light tonic. Not bad. It didn't have a heavy bitter taste, which I liked, but I think I'll stick to my standard Schweppes Slimline tonic.





Ginfusion Bespoke Gin Botanicals 

I admit that we tend to get stuck in a rut with our drink garnishes. Our favorite is lemon, although we also like lime or cucumber. But I'm up for trying new things, so I was happy to try these dried bits of fruit, herbs, and flowers. We received samples of each of the four flavors, which you just tip into the glass and let sit for a few minutes before drinking.

Rose- I tried this in the raspberry gin with tonic. It had a nice soft flavor, and I would try it again with different gin.  It was my favorite of the lot.   
Spiced- We didn't try this because it has star anise in it. We don't care for licorice, so we didn't subject ourselves to it.   
Citrus- This had a light citrus flavor, with a hint of green (probably from the lemongrass). Not bad.           
Tropical- This had a very mild flavor. Floral and a hint of pepper. I thought it wasn't bad, but Matt didn't really care for any of these samples. I might try a different brand if I found something that looks good.


Kallø Pop-Crisps, Himalayan Pink Salt with a hint of Black Pepper   

These are pea and corn popped snacks, so they're light and low calorie. There's not a heavy pea taste, which is good for me. The salt and pepper flavor isn't overwhelming either, but just enough so they aren't boring. I would definitely buy these for a snack.

Willie's Cacao Raspberries and Cream 

I love chocolate, but this was just okay. It isn't made with lots of sugar, so it doesn't have that overly sweet vanilla kind of flavor that white chocolate sometimes has. But again, I think it was the raspberry flavor that missed the mark for me. I might try a different flavor if I came across it.

There seemed to be more items this month that weren't our favorites. But there was a lot to choose from, and overall I still liked the selection. I'll be posting about the May box soon!








No comments:

Post a Comment