13 April, 2019

US Trip 2019 - Day 5

The morning began with my mom, Clara, and me making a quick trip to the grocery store. Let me tell you, stepping into an American store is a bit shocking after being away for a while. The aisles are so wide, and there is an abundance of choices of... everything.  Entire aisles of chips or cereal?!



 Then we made a stop at my mom's salon before heading back to the house.


Of course we were stopped by a train (welcome to GC).



The kids were really looking forward to this day of our trip, because this was the day that Uncle John would come visit! (To be fair, I think Uncle John was just as excited to see his niblings.)  I left the kids with Matt and his brother, and set out for Target with Lesa and my mom. Target doesn't exist in the UK, so it was fun to just shop.


Starbucks cake pop

So many cute things
We bought lots of things for the kids (mostly clothes), and luckily Matt had packed an extra bag, so we had a way to get it back across the ocean. We dropped everything off at home and picked up my dad, who said that Matt and John had taken the kids to a children's museum and maybe to Annie's frozen custard. Well I was not going to miss out on frozen custard! We spotted the rental car in the Annie's parking lot, so I hopped out to Matt's surprise.

I miss this!
On the way back to my parents' house, we drove by the first house Matt and I ever bought.



We loved that little house, but there is no way the 5 of us would fit in it now! And it looks like the current owner has made some nice improvements. I'd love to see the inside again.

Back at the homestead, the kids went through their Target goodies.

How did Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman get here?
Cuddle time with Uncle John

Then it was time for dinner. On the spur of the moment, we decided on Bandana's BBQ.


Sweet tea




little photobomber


Don't let Miles' face fool you, these kids adore their uncle

I had bbq meat in a baked potato, with fried okra and garlic bread. It was so. much. food.



Everywhere we went, we'd ask Clara what she wanted to eat. Her response was always, "Fish and chips." Of course, that's harder to come by in the States, but luckily she settled on other things easily.

The sunset was pretty and colorful on the way home.



When we got back, the kids kept busy with some kind of junior archaeology toy that Miles had. They had to drill and chip away at this crumbly rock thing to get to the toys inside. It was messy, but it lasted a while and they loved it.



Here's to the end of another great day!













No comments:

Post a Comment