17 July, 2017

Keeping it Real - First day of summer break

This was my first day home with all three kids, and it almost went swimmingly. We had a little picnic lunch in the park (which makes it sound much better than it went, but it wasn't too bad). I had the kids working on learning. They got a little TV/tablet time. Then I tried to make dinner.

The meal I tried to make was a bit more involved than I normally do (it was a cauliflower lasagna). In the middle of my prep, I gave Lily a small pot of applesauce, and I didn't notice when she took it into the living room. Then she came running to the kitchen shouting about how Clara took her applesauce. And of course, it was all over the sofa (which we can wipe off, thank you Matt). I got everything cleaned up, and stripped Clara's clothes off, and went back to my cooking. And a few minutes later, Lily was back shouting about more applesauce. Apparently, Clara took another pot from the cabinet and tore through the foil, this time getting it all over one of Lily's books in addition to her clothes and the sofa. So I cleaned it up again.

This is dinner on her face; I didn't take a picture of the applesauce. She still needed a third outfit change though.


By this time, my lasagna noodles were all stuck together and ruined, so I had to improvise and make new spiral noodles for a casserole. As I was doing this, I turned around to a new mess on the kitchen floor. I threw my casserole into the oven and ran all three children upstairs for a super quick bath. And I opened a bottle of wine.

This was by far the hardest part of the day, and it's why the house looks like this. I'm not even worried about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment