21 August, 2018

Meemaw and Da Visit - Dublin Day 1

Once Lesa and Jimmy went home, we had about a week and a half until our next short trip and visitors. This time we would be meeting my parents in Dublin for a few days, then returning to England with them.

While we were planning our trip, my mom had heard about Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel, which was a short drive from Dublin. She thought it would be really cool to spend the night in a castle, so we booked one night there, and the rest in the city. I'm not sure who was more excited, my mom or the kids.



Matt and I had chosen an early morning flight (it left about 6:30), and leading up to our departure I was very nervous about how the kids would handle it. We had to wake them up around 3:30, and although they were overtired by evening, they all handled everything extremely well. This really opens up our options for future travel.

Anyway, our flight landed in Ireland at 7:30, and my parents' flight was supposed to arrive around 9. However, I had received a message from my mom that their schedule had changed, and they were now expecting to land at about 2:30. Matt and I found a taxi to take us to the castle so we could explore while we waited.

Although everything was reserved under my mom's name, and it was several hours before check in, our room was ready and we were able to unload our things.


The village of Dalkey was a short 1 km walk downhill, so we set off to have a look around.






We stopped in a cafe to have lunch (lunch for us; everyone else was having late breakfast). We sat inside, but guests on the patio could borrow straw sun hats and take advantage of the bucket of complimentary sunscreen.



Of course Matt had the full breakfast
After we ate, we turned around and started walking slowly back towards the castle.






Dalkey Castle. They do live history, dressed up in period clothing. Unfortunately we walked in at the beginning of the midday break.


The kids were enjoying the sunny and very warm weather.




The woman at the front desk of the hotel had given us a map, and pointed out a few points of interest. So instead of returning to the castle right away, we kept walking up to Killiney Hill for views of the surrounding areas.




After walking uphill in the sun, we welcomed the shade.

At the top of the hill, we made our way from observation point to observation point. And pictures do not do the scenery justice.
















It was breathtaking, and there was plenty of space for the kids to run free.

Back at the hotel, Matt and I enjoyed a nice drink while the kids watched television. Then we visited the hotel pool for a bit.

Gunpowder gin. Very nice!

Periodically throughout the day, we received updates from my parents. Their flights kept being moved and delayed, much to everyone's frustration. First they were scheduled to arrive at 9am, then 2:30, then 5:30. The kids were anxious to see their grandparents, and my parents were tired of all of this hassle!

5:30 came and went, and we decided to take the kids to dinner in one of the hotel restaurants while we waited on yet another delay. The food was amazing.






After this, we had no idea how much longer my parents would be. We were all exhausted from being awake for so long, so we went ahead and put the kids to bed.

I tried really hard to stay awake, but I was fading fast. At 9:30, I had just put on my pajamas and gotten into bed when I had a message from my mom. They were in the hotel restaurant! I quickly got dressed again and met them downstairs. They had honestly had the worst day of travel, and to top it all off, the airport had lost my dad's suitcase. They had a late dinner, and we all went to bed around 11.

It was a long and frustrating first day, but my parents had safely arrived and we were ready to get some rest and move forward.








No comments:

Post a Comment