03 September, 2018

Craft Gin Club - August

We arrived home from Dublin with my parents to find our August gin box waiting for us. It was fun to share the unboxing and tasting with my mom (my dad said no thanks to the gin).


Sadly, I only took the one picture, since our time was otherwise occupied. But here's this month's breakdown.

Four Pillars & Hernö Dry Island Gin 

This month's spirit was a special collaboration by Swedish distillery Hernö and Australian gin maker Four Pillars.

Tasting notes from Ginned!: A bright, lifted gin with beautiful citrus notes and a cut-grass character. The palate is weighty with a fresh, pine forest character. Clean and pure, in a classic London Dry style.

Leann says: Light and summery. There's a hint of strawberry, sort of like candy but it's subtle.  (I didn't get any cut-grass character. Obviously I'm not an expert.)

Matt says: I don't know what to say. I like it.

Fentimans Valencian Orange Tonic Water 

I haven't loved any of the Fentimans tonics I've tried before, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It had a mild orange taste, and wasn't overly sweet. I liked this a lot paired with the gin, and would buy it again.

Tyrell's Poshcorn Summer Strawberries and Cream 

Subtle flavor, which was not bad but I would have liked a little more flavor on each piece. I don't think I'd buy this kind, although I've liked other varieties of Poshcorn.

Whitworths Shots Berry and White Chocolate 

Each packet has only 93 calories. This "shot" had raisins, cranberries, and white chocolate pieces.  They had a nice taste - mostly fruit with just a bit of white chocolate sweetness. I've just seen that these come in packs of four, so I may look to see if there's one with dark chocolate in it.

Whitworths Shots Nuts with a touch of Chilli 

This "shot" contained peanuts, pistachios, and chilli almonds. The mild chilli powder seasoning was not bad, not spicy. Maybe could use a hint of salt as well? There was just something flat about the flavor that I couldn't put my finger on.

Green and Black's Velvet Edition Assorted Chocolates 

I have actually bought these before, and love them. The assortment comes with dark chocolate, sea salt, and salted caramel mini bars. They are all great, but my favorite is the salted caramel. There's a bit of caramel flavoring in the chocolate, with flecks of sea salt tempering the sweetness. These are a perfect small indulgence.

Overall it was another winning month, and I hope this streak continues!









No comments:

Post a Comment