31 August, 2016

Let's Talk Food

Since we haven't found a place to live yet, we've had to eat out every single day. Not that we're disappointed, since we love trying new foods and new restaurants. I think we were most excited to sample the fish and chips, Indian food, and desserts.

The first full day we were here, we headed out to dinner after Matt got home from work. We kind of have an early bird eating schedule (and have been made fun of for it), so we were surprised to find that restaurants don't typically open for dinner until 5:30 or 6:00. Well, we were hungry, so we went to the only open place we could find (besides McDonald's, we did refuse that!). 


An American-style steakhouse. Womp womp. Well, the food still tasted pretty good, and we laughed at ourselves for eating before the old people.

I did have an English cider

Since that first day, we've had Indian, Thai, and Turkish, to name a few. Everything we've had so far has been really good. One of our favorites has been fish and chips, especially on evenings when we can tell the kids will not behave well in a restaurant.  We've tried two of the three highly recommended places in town, and I can't decide which is better. 


Melts in your mouth!

Sorry, I don't have any poetic descriptions of the taste of everything. And I always forget to take pictures of food (not my normal thing). So the only food photos I have are the fish and chips above, and...



This giant naan. So the perspective makes it look bigger than Clara, but it probably was almost as tall as she is! 

We've also tried a couple of chain places - Pizza Express and Wagamama. Both were also very good, and of course, the kids loved them. 




Next on my list to try is pub food, tea, and a traditional English breakfast. According to Wikipedia, an English breakfast consists of, "bacon (traditionally back bacon), fried, poached or scrambled eggs, fried or grilled tomatoes, fried mushrooms, fried bread or toast with butter, sausages, and baked beans. Black pudding, bubble and squeak and hash browns are often also included."

Image via seriouseats.com
Holy cow, that's a lot of food! I haven't yet decided if I'll be brave enough to try black pudding (aka blood sausage). If I can work up the nerve, I'll post about it!


1 comment: